LED: Light Emitting Diode: It is a semiconductor diode that emits light. They have been used historically as indicators and signalers but their most important present application is the lighting.
There are plenty of manufacturers of LED. The most important and recognized ones are:
- LUMILED (PHILIPS)
|Vehicles||Ornamental and indoor lighting||Outdoor lighting|
Basic technical concepts
- WATIO: Unit of measurement of electric power. P = V x I
- AMPERE: Unit of measurement of Intensity or electrical current.
- VOLT: Electrical Voltage, unit of measurement of Tension.
- LUMINOUS FLUX: It is the power (W) emitted in the form of luminous radiation to which the human eye is sensible. Its unit is the lumen lm
- ILUMINANCE:It is the luminous flux received by a surface. Its symbol is E and its unit lux (lx) (lm/m2).
- THERMAL RESISTANCE: It represents the capacity of the material to be against to the flow of the heat.
- TEMPERATURE OF COLOR: It is the dominance of some of the colors of the luminance phantom in the WHITE lights, so that it alters the white color towards amber. Its unit is ºKelvin.
- Cold color: > 5000 ºk
- Temperate color 3000/5000 ºk
- Warm color < 3000 ºk
Our choice: MX-6 CREE
What is in the market?
In the election of the LED it is necessary to consider technical and economic considerations. From the technical point of view, two types of configuration can be considered:
- Individual LEDs:
- Advantages: they can provide up to 140 lumen/watt and allow open design.
- Disadvantages: the price and themore complex design.
- The most prestigious brands are: CREE, LUMILED, NICHIA
- Chinese LED? No, thanks. They are cheap, but not of a great quality (less than 90 lumen/w).
- LED or microLED matrixes:
- Advantages: Price and simplicity of design.
- Disadvantages: They are usually limited by a maximum of 100 lumen/watt. The design is closed.
- The most prestigious brand is BRIDGELUX.
It is an individual LED manufatured by the American company CREE, the most prestigious in the world (and most expensive also).
- 122 lumen of luminous flux and a good quality/price relationship.
- Robust and perfect for indoor and outdoor applications
- It allows an appropriate flexible design for the type of lamp that we manufacture.
Types of LED lamps
What is in the market?
There is a multitude of LED lamps in the market.
- Complete lights: They include the lamp and the outer mechanical support which also acts as dissipator.
It is possible to finde all kinds of designs and alternatives, the majority of them made in China.
- Advantages: They offer in a single element: lamp and support. They can achieve a maximum of 200 w.
- Disadvantages: Unidirectional lighting, high price and unsuitable design for rural surroundings and historical parts of the city. They imply the elimination of previous lighting system.
- Omnidirectional lamps: They are light “bulbs”, which are adaptable to any existing lighting system. As in the previous case, most of them are Chinese, that is to say, with LED of deficient quality and low quality supply drivers.
- Advantages: Very versatile, adaptable to any scenario, omnidirectional light, competitive price.
- Disadvantages: Power up to 90 w, they need support in some cases.
What is the solution we have adopted?
SEDILEC, considering the needs of the market, is betting on a solution based on the following parameters:
Omnidirectional lamp because it allows to adapt it to any lights and offers a homogenous distribution of light. It adapts perfectly to the types of lights used in the towns and cities, particullary to the historical part of cities. Its morphology allows the installation in globe, villa and fernandinas lighting systems.
Lamp of mixed manufacture. The best of each country: American CREE LED, supply drivers developed and made in Spain with all the European quality compliances. Aluminum dissipators and accessory elements imported with a good quality/price relation.
Guarantee of manufacture, repair and maintenance. Lamp manufactured in Madrid (Spain). Guarantee of 5 years for defects of manufacture. Repair in 48 hours.
Possibility of personalized design. SEDILEC has its own department of R+D, it develops its own supply drivers and electronic solutions. Therefore, it is possible to adapt the lamps to the needs of the client:
- Lamps of different powers.
- Election of the type of LED, temperature of color, etc.
- Dimable lamps, 12V lamps, etc.
|Number of lamps:|
|LED lamp power:|
|HPS lamp power:|
|Consumption of Power (W)||150||55||95|
|Consumption of starters and auxiliaries (W)||30||0||30|
|Power consumption per lamp (W)||180||55||125|
|Switched-on hours per year||4200||4200||0|
|Annual electrical consumption per lamp (KW)||756||231||525|
|KW/hour approximated cost (€)||0.14||0.14||0.00|
|Annual electrical invoice per lamp||105.84||32.34||73.50|
|Annual cost of maintenance of lamps and aids € (each) (*)||60.00||30.00||30.00|
|Annual total invoice per lamp||165.84||62.34||103.50|
|Annual total invoice||165.84||62.34||103.50|
(*) Cost estimated by Plataforma Española de Eficiencia Energética (PTE-EE) for a HPS lamp
Maintenance and cleaning cost of SEDILEC lamp calculated for a approximated 10-year life-span.